Facilitating a Suicide Bereavement Support Group – Adult (TRAINING IS FULL)
From: May. 18, 2018, 1 p.m.
To: May. 19, 2018, 3:30 p.m.
8535 W Higgins Rd
Chicago, IL 60068
For questions about this event, contact Courtney Collins at [email protected].
*This training is now full. If you would like to be added to the wait list, please email [email protected]*
About the Training: The AFSP Facilitator Training Program offers suicide prevention organizers a way to create and facilitate a community support group for suicide loss survivors in the aftermath of a suicide. The course is offered as a two day training, of up to 36 attendees, and include lecture, interactive discussion, and role-playing. They are led by experts in the field of suicide bereavement. This training is specifically for Facilitating Adult Support Groups.
For more information, please visit the registration link. YOU WILL COMPLETE 2 SEPARATE FORMS
For questions, contact Courtney Collins at [email protected]
Location: The training will take place at Chicago Marriott O’Hare in Ballroom E.
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals interested in learning the skills to facilitate an effective support group, and either currently facilitating a group and wish to sharpen your facilitator skills (or) individuals wishing to start a support group for adults struggling with suicide loss grief.
- Mental health professionals and survivors of suicide loss who want to start a support group.
- Survivors of suicide loss who have waited at least two years after experiencing a suicide loss.
- Non-clinicians who have at least one year of experience participating in a support group.
Attendees must be present for the entire training on both days. Meals and snacks will be provided both days.
Survivors of suicide loss should wait at least two years after experiencing a loss before attending. We also recommend that all non-clinician attendees have at least one year experience participating in a support group.
*Currently, AFSP does not offer CEUs for this training, but a letter of attendance outlining the training can be provided by AFSP National to attendees upon request.
- Friday, May 18:
- 1:00 – 1:30 PM – Registration / Check-in
- 1:30 – 6:00 PM – Training program
- 6:00 – 6:30 PM – Break
- 6:30 – 9:00 PM – Working dinner (dinner provided)
- Saturday, May 19:
- 8:00 – 8:45 AM – Breakfast
- 8:45 AM – 12:00 PM – Training program, including breakout groups
- 12:00 – 12:45 PM – Lunch
- 12:45 – 3:30 PM – Training program
$175/attendee for non-Illinois residents
$125/attendee for Illinois residents and for those being sponsored by another AFSP chapter (sponsorships are available thanks to the generous donations through our local Out of the Darkness Walks.) Please contact Courtney Collins at [email protected] to receive the discount code.
Fee includes dinner on Friday plus breakfast and lunch on Saturday as well as the training materials. This fee does not include hotel and other travel costs.
Scholarships are available and will be reviewed for approval. Please click here to complete the application.
If you wish to stay the night at the Chicago Marriott O’Hare Hotel, you may reserve a room at a discounted rate of $195 using this link.