May. 19, 2018
10 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
For questions about this event, contact Gabrielle Katz at [email protected].
safeTALK half-day training
Date: Saturday, May 19, 2018
Location: Argosy University – 1550 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA, Room 706
Time: 10am – 1:30pm
LivingWorks explains how safeTALK is a half-day alertness training that prepares anyone over the age of 15, regardless of prior experience or training, to become a suicide-alert helper.
Most people with thoughts of suicide don’t truly want to die, but are struggling with the pain in their lives. Through their words and actions, they invite help to stay alive. safeTALK-trained helpers can recognize these invitations and take action by connecting them with life-saving intervention resources.
Learning goals and objectives
Over the course of their training, safeTALK participants will learn to:
- Notice and respond to situations where suicide thoughts might be present
- Recognize that invitations for help are often overlooked
- Move beyond the common tendency to miss, dismiss, and avoid suicide
- Apply the TALK steps: Tell, Ask, Listen, and KeepSafe
- Know community resources and how to connect someone with thoughts of suicide to them for further help
CEUs are available. Information on CEUs for this training are here: https://www.livingworks.net/resources-and-support/continuing-education/
Attendance for this training is vital. There is a minimum amount of participants needed for this training and if that is not met the training cannot occur.