Find resources to help new and seasoned advocates become more familiar with AFSP’s Public Policy Priorities and ways to make a difference as a volunteer Field Advocate with AFSP.
Advocate training videos
These training videos are valuable to all advocates to help understand the legislative process, where you fit as an advocate for suicide prevention, and how you can make a difference in communicating with and educating your federal, state, and local lawmakers.
Get updated on the latest suicide facts and figures, learn what state laws are in place in each of our policy areas, see what federal and state bills AFSP is currently supporting this legislative session, and view any elections that may be coming up. Additionally, learn about Project 2025, AFSP’s bold goal to reduce the nation’s suicide rate 20% by the year 2025 and how that project intersects with our policy work.
These resources offer an in depth look at some of AFSP’s top public policy priorities. Readers will better understand the need for policy change in these areas, learn AFSP’s policy position, and view state laws across the country with respect to each priority.
Hosted by the AFSP Public Policy Office and featuring other mental health and suicide prevention experts, these videos offer a more in depth look at some of our top policy areas. Sign up as a volunteer AFSP Field Advocate to receive updates on future webinars (afsp.org/advocate).
- 988 and Crisis Lines
- Mental Health Reform & Suicide Prevention in the Era of COVID-19 (Sept. 2020 – 30min viewing time)
- Preventing Firearms Suicide (Sept. 2022 - 30min viewing time)
- K-12 Schools
- K-12 Suicide Prevention Policies (Sept. 2020 – 30min viewing time)
- Mental Health Parity
- Mental Health Parity Webinar (Oct. 2019 – 1hr viewing time)
- Suicide Prevention for the Veteran Community (Nov. 2020 – 30min viewing time)
Featuring AFSP staff and volunteers, these blogs give readers an inside look at how changes to suicide prevention and mental health policies are making an impact on the ground.
- Being an AFSP Advocate
- What It Means to Be a Suicide Prevention Advocate: Making a Difference in My State (July 2021 – 5 min read)
- 988 and Crisis Lines
- Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Response Services: What They Are and How We Can Support Them (May 2022 – 4 min read)
- Suicide Prevention Advocate Perspectives: Why the New 988 Crisis Number Matters – A Conversation with Tori Yeates of AFSP Utah (Mar. 2022 – 5 min read)
- Suicide Prevention Advocate Perspectives: Why the New 988 Crisis Number Matters – A Conversation with Jen Preble of AFSP Montana (Mar. 2022 – 4 min read)
- Suicide Prevention Advocate Perspectives: Why the New 988 Crisis Number Matters – A Conversation with Kirsten Krueger of AFSP South Dakota (Feb. 2022 – 5 min read)
- A Mother’s Perspective: The Need for Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Education in Schools (Apr. 2022 – 3 min read)
- Turning Listening into Legislation: Advocating for More Accessible and Affordable Mental Health Care (Apr. 2022 – 3 min read)
- Join Me in Advocating for Suicide Prevention Research Funding (Apr. 2022 – 5 min read)
- Advocating for Veteran Suicide Prevention in Central Texas (June 2022 – 2 min read)
#RealConvo & Speaking Out About Suicide resources
Share your story safely with the Speaking Out About Suicide and #RealConvo guides. Arranged in an easy-to-read, step-by-step format, our #RealConvo Guides cover the following topics: