Skip to content

Local Resources for Seeking Help in the National Capital Area

13 Jan 2021 — 4 min read


Woman talking about sadness to her dog

If you or someone you know is looking for support, this information may help.

This resource list is made available as a public service. AFSP does not provide medical or crisis response services. AFSP does not endorse or recommend specific businesses or providers.

I'm having thoughts of suicide

24/7 National Crisis Resources


If you, or someone you know, are ever in crisis, call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK(8255). 

  • To access the Veterans Crisis Line, dial the number (1-800-273-8255) and press “1”
  • For Spanish-speaking callers, you can dial the Spanish Lifeline directly at 1-888-628-9454
  • The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline also offers Tele-Interpreters service to its crisis centers, supporting over 150 languages
  • For callers who are deaf or hard of hearing, call 1-800-799-4889 
  • A text line is available as well, simply text to 471-471
  • You can also chat online at

Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990

Suicide Prevention Lifeline (Spanish): 1-888-628-9454

Suicide Prevention Lifeline (Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Hearing Loss): 1-800-799-4889

Suicide Prevention Lifeline Chat: Available online at

Crisis Text Line: Text 741741 (Text "DHOH" for Deaf and Hard of Hearing)

NAMI HelpLine: 800-950-NAMI (6264)

Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860

Trevor Lifeline (for LGBTQ youth): 1-866-488-7386

Trevor Text: Text “Trevor” to 1-202-304-1200

Veterans and Service Members Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255, Press 1

Veterans and Service Members Text Line: Text to 838255

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)’s National Helpline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

In an emergency, such as a suicide attempt in progress, call 911


Community Services in the National Capital Area

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): Visit their website for additional Information for Mental Health Emergencies and free programming for individuals living with mental illness as well as their families and caregivers. Look up local resources available through affiliates, including NAMI Northern Virginia and NAMI Prince William in the national capital region.

Suicide Prevention Resource Center: Visit to learn more about suicide prevention and access a broad array of resources and training programs.

Domestic Violence Resource Project: Survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault can receive free and confidential services through the Domestic Violence Resource Project, with assistance in over 20 Asian/Pacific Islander languages. Visit or call the helpline at 202-833-2233

Asian American & Immigrant Services: Mental health services are available to Asian Americans and new immigrants through the Korean Community Center of Greater Washington. Learn more at

D.C. Residents

  • Visit to search for local resources. Simply enter your zip code and key words describing what you are looking for. For example, “Mental Health” or “Mental Health Services”. 

  • Go to for information about the resources available through the D.C. Department of Behavioral Health.

Virginia Residents

  • Visit to search for local resources. Simply enter your zip code and key words describing what you are looking for. For example, “Mental Health” or “Mental Health Services”. 

  • Go to for information about the resources available through the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health.

  • You can find information about your local Community Services Board (CSB) on the state’s Department of Behavioral Health website (above) as well as by visiting the Virginia Association of CSBs at Find your nearest CSB at

Find a Mental Health Professional

A mental health professional is someone who can help people get relief from mental health conditions, and find ways to improve mental wellness and resiliency. They may be a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, marriage and family therapist, psychiatric nurse, or counselor with mental health training. While AFSP does not endorse or recommend specific professionals, there are a number of ways to find care:

  • Ask your doctor for a recommendation
  • Ask other survivors at support groups if they have had good experiences with any local mental health professionals
  • College students can visit on-campus counseling centers or health centers, even a guidance counselor
  • Contact the Department of Psychiatry at a local university or hospital
  • Visit and/or call the following:

You may also want to check out AFSP's website for additional general resources as well as information about mental health resources for underrepresented communities 

Local Community Mental Health Centers

District of Columbia



Montgomery County: (240) 777-1400

Prince George's County: 1-800-888-1965


Alexandria City: (703) 746-3400

Arlington County: (703) 228-4864

Fairfax County: (703) 481-4230

Loudoun County: (703) 777-0320

Leesburg: (703) 771-5100

Sterling: (571) 258-3026

Manassas: (703) 792-7800

Woodbridge: (703) 792-4900

Find a mental health professional

Connection makes a difference

Find a chapter