Three Year Strategic Plan
The new three-year strategic plan articulates four goals and key strategies that the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) will accomplish over the course of this plan. AFSP has made great strides implementing the bold initiatives set forth in the previous plan. This plan has been developed to build on that progress in important areas such as research and advocacy and to increase the effectiveness and reach of programs to accomplish the mission.
Suicide continues to increase in the United States. This plan is intended to contribute to a reversal of this disturbing trend and to move closer to the goal of reducing the suicide rate in the U.S. 20% by 2025. Within the plan there is major focus on implementation of Project 2025, a bold, targeted initiative aimed at this reduction of the suicide rate.
The plan emphasizes enhancing the positive efforts of AFSP’s chapters, as well as increasing AFSP’s strength and reach through strategic partnerships with organizations working in suicide prevention, mental health and the larger healthcare system. It encompasses other sectors, such as education, entertainment, sports, media, business, and more, as the effects of suicide know no boundaries. The plan also emphasizes measuring and communicating the impact of AFSP’s work.
AFSP will be relentless in its efforts to accomplish the outcomes outlined in this strategic plan and to doing everything we can to save lives and bring hope to those affected by suicide.
Accelerate progress in suicide research to save more lives by driving discovery and innovation.
- Increase public and private investment in promising research that will have the most positive impact
- Accelerate translation of research findings into real world suicide prevention solutions
- Attract the best and brightest scientists to suicide research
- Communicate research findings to both AFSP stakeholders and the public
Engage stakeholders and the public in awareness, advocacy and bold actions to save lives.
- Strengthen Project 2025 by developing and taking to scale programs through strategic partnerships
- Amplify the voice of those affected by suicide by working to advance AFSP’s legislative, regulatory and public policy agenda
- Develop partnerships to expand education about mental health and suicide prevention in communities, nationally and internationally
- Develop and execute a comprehensive national communications and marketing strategy to involve a more informed public concerning prevention
Reach more people at risk for suicide and survivors of suicide loss with effective programs.
- Establish strategic partnerships to grow the audience for our programs in the areas of loss and healing, lived experience, and those identified as at risk
- Expand access to AFSP suicide prevention, loss and healing and lived experience programs through engagement with diverse populations
- Improve the training of chapter volunteers and staff so they can better understand, support and implement the mission
- Measure desired outcomes of initiatives and programs
- Change behavior of clinicians to improve the identification and treatment of individuals at risk for suicide
Optimize AFSP’s capacity to better advance the mission.
- Increase AFSP’s resources to fulfill our mission by expanding the number of events and engaging more individuals and corporations to increase their financial support
- Increase diversity of national and chapter boards to better reflect the communities we serve
- Strengthen chapter staff and volunteer skills to maximize impact
- Employ technology systems to optimize data management and data security