When Someone Is at Risk
How to talk to someone who may be struggling with depression or anxiety
How to talk
Don’t assume someone else will reach out. Only one in five seeks help. You can encourage them to make that critical first step. Here are some suggestions.
- Ask if you can talk in private.
- Ask questions to open up the conversation.
- How are you doing?
- You haven’t seemed yourself lately. Is everything okay?
- Is anything bothering you?
- Listen to their story and express concern and caring.
- Ask if they are having thoughts of ending their life.
- Encourage them to seek mental health services. Tell them seeking help can take courage, but it’s the smart thing to do.