Supporting diverse communities
As a health organization, AFSP is dedicated to addressing the mental health and suicide prevention needs among minority populations. We are committed to a process of change knowing that long-term, sustained efforts are needed to improve access to culturally informed, evidence-based quality mental health care. We will continue to speak out about the inequities across many aspects of society, especially related to access to healthcare for underrepresented communities, and to advocate for ending these disparities.
We know that there is much work to do, and that’s why AFSP has made new commitments to:
- Reflect, learn, and improve upon our own organizational diversity and inclusion.
- Prioritize diverse communities, believing that every family, youth, adult and community should have the resources and knowledge to discuss mental health concerns, connect with support, and have access to effective mental health care and suicide prevention resources, as outlined in our three-year strategic plan.
- Stimulate and fund research related to minority communities, health disparities and inequities with the support of AFSP’s Scientific Council. This will include a priority on these research areas as well as on funding researchers from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Enter into a partnership with the National Latino Behavioral Health Association to collaboratively advance Latino suicide prevention. Our organizations will work together to support programs, campaigns, training, workforce development and other initiatives on mental health and suicide prevention in the Latino community.
- Convene leading experts in minority mental health and suicide prevention through a Town Hall series to engage in education, advocacy and public understanding to close the gap and ensure we are working to better understand and meet the needs of diverse communities.
We all have a role to play, and invite individuals, communities, organizations and thought leaders to join us in our efforts to create long-lasting changes in mental health equity and to prevent suicide among underrepresented communities.
Discover minority mental health resourcesLearn more
Voices in minority mental health
Black LGBTQ mental health matters
Black LGBTQ mental health mattersDownload and share
Suicide warning signs
Suicide warning signsDownload and share
Suicide prevention resources
Find resources for suicide prevention for your or someone you know.Learn more
Taking care of your mental health
Taking care of your mental healthDownload and share
Mental health resources for the Black community
Mental health resources for the Black communityDownload and share
It's okay to ask for help
Image for social sharingDownload and share
You are not alone
You are not aloneDownload and share
We all face challenges
We all face challengesDownload and share
Awareness for all
Awareness for allDownload and share
Talk about mental health
Talk about mental healthDownload and share
Todos enfrentamos desafios
Todos enfrentamos desafiosDownload and share
Concientizacion para todxs
Concientizacion para todxsDownload and share
Hablar de salud mental
Hablar de salud mentalDownload and share
Resources and programs
Minority mental health resources
Find resources for suicide prevention focused on supporting individuals in diverse and minority communities.Learn more
Talk Saves Lives TM
Talk Saves Lives: An Introduction to Suicide Prevention is a community-based presentation that covers the general scope of suicide, the research on prevention, and what people can do to fight suicide.Learn more
Can a Community Program Reduce Suicidal Ideation and Behavior in Latina Adolescents?
Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts occur at higher rates in adolescent Latinas than among girls from other ethnic groups.Learn more
What are the risk factors for suicide in rural Chinese elderly?
Learning from this study in China can help us to understand more about what contributes to suicide around the world.Learn more
Ethics Talk: Antiracism, Health Equity, and a Post-COVID Future
Ethics Talk: Antiracism, Health Equity, and a Post-COVID FutureLearn more
Mental Health & Suicide Prevention Series from PBS
Mental Health & Suicide Prevention Series from PBSLearn more
APA News: Sounding the alarm on black youth suicide
Sounding the alarm on black youth suicideLearn more
Ring the Alarm The Crisis of Black Youth Suicide in America
Ring the Alarm The Crisis of Black Youth Suicide in AmericaDownload and share
Mental Health America Resources on BIPOC Mental Health
BIPOC Mental HealthLearn more