Supporting diverse communities
As a health organization, AFSP is dedicated to addressing the mental health and suicide prevention needs among minority populations. We are committed to a process of change knowing that long-term, sustained efforts are needed to improve access to culturally informed, evidence-based quality mental health care. We will continue to speak out about the inequities across many aspects of society, especially related to access to healthcare for underrepresented communities, and to advocate for ending these disparities.
We know that there is much work to do, and that’s why AFSP has made new commitments to:
- Reflect, learn, and improve upon our own organizational diversity and inclusion.
- Prioritize diverse communities, believing that every family, youth, adult and community should have the resources and knowledge to discuss mental health concerns, connect with support, and have access to effective mental health care and suicide prevention resources, as outlined in our three-year strategic plan.
- Stimulate and fund research related to minority communities, health disparities and inequities with the support of AFSP’s Scientific Council. This will include a priority on these research areas as well as on funding researchers from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Enter into a partnership with the National Latino Behavioral Health Association to collaboratively advance Latino suicide prevention. Our organizations will work together to support programs, campaigns, training, workforce development and other initiatives on mental health and suicide prevention in the Latino community.
- Convene leading experts in minority mental health and suicide prevention through a Town Hall series to engage in education, advocacy and public understanding to close the gap and ensure we are working to better understand and meet the needs of diverse communities.
We all have a role to play, and invite individuals, communities, organizations and thought leaders to join us in our efforts to create long-lasting changes in mental health equity and to prevent suicide among underrepresented communities.
Read our diversity & inclusion statementLearn more
Voices in minority mental health
Elevating Voices for Long-Lasting Change
We're convening leading experts in mental health & suicide prevention from diverse communities to help elevate voices and support their unique needs.Learn more
Discover minority mental health resourcesLearn more
Resources and programs